Tuesday, November 30, 2010

Top Ten Mistakes

I've been teaching ESL/EFL for 8 years now and I've had students from all over the world. All students have their own particular challenges based on their native language. I'm going to try to tackle some of the most common mistakes my Korean students make in a series of upcoming posts. Here are my Top Ten, plus a bonus 11th:

1.      –ing vs. –ed adjectives (I’m boring vs. I’m bored)
2.      Prepositions
3.      Subject-verb agreement errors
4.      Pronunciation
5.      The present perfect tense (has/have + past participle)
6.      Making negative past forms (I didn’t saw that movie.)
7.      Articles (a/an/the)
8.      Choosing the wrong form of the word
9.      Almost/most and other expressions of quantity
10.   Not understanding sentences with OR (Ex. Are you taking the day off or are you going to work? Yes.)
11.   Conditional tense confusion
I'm looking forward to helping you improve your skills!

8 comments:

  1. I'm glad! If you have any questions you want help with, please let me know :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. What's the difference between "you have sent me" and "you sent me"? I will appreciate if you can explain as well :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Saori! I'd be happy to try to answer your question. The easy answer is that they are different, but they can sometimes have almost the same meaning. In your example, it's not perfectly clear, so I can see why you are confused. An easier example would be:

    1)You have sent me to preach the Good News.
    2)You sent me to preach the Good News.

    The first sentence with "have sent" is the present perfect tense. The second sentence with "sent" is the simple past tense.

    We usually use the present perfect tense in three cases: 1)To show something that happened (or never happened) at an UNSPECIFIED TIME in the past. Ex. I have never seen the movie "Titanic." 2)To show repetition of an activity before now. Ex. I have eaten at that restaurant three times. 3)To show the continuation of a STATE/CONDITION (with the words "for" or "since"). Ex. I have known him since I was a child.

    In your example, I don't know the situation. Let's say it's a prophet talking to Jehovah :) If the prophet uses the present perfect, we have a feeling that the sending happened some time in the past, but we don't know when. I also get a feeling that it might continue to the present or affect the present in some way. If the prophet uses the simple past tense, it emphasizes that it happened at a time in the past and is finished.

    I hope this helps a little bit!

    ReplyDelete
  5. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks so much, Lisa! It helped me as well! I may better pay to you..

    ReplyDelete
  7. Can you please help me again? Is it correct English to say "Good to see you again". Or should I say just "Good to see you"? Which is correct?
    And should I say back "You too"? or "Me too"?

    ReplyDelete